These tasty and easy to make crackers, have unique color and abundance of flavor. The color comes from using raw pumpkin seeds as the major ingredient, and from the addition of green Pesto and Za’atar herb mix. Besides color, these herbal additions add wonderful flavors and aroma, which combine so well with the pumpkin seeds, Parmesan cheese and olive oil.
The crackers are perfect for serving on their own as a tasty snack, with cheeses or yogurt based dips, with hummus or with eggplant salads (such as the one posted here last week).
* For the tastiest result, use fresh, homemade Pesto. Click HERE for a recipe.
* If you can’t find Za’atar mix at your local store, you can order it online. Make sure to choose one that contains sumac and sesame seeds.
* Though here I cut the crackers into squares, they obviously can be cut in any other shape you prefer.
* The crackers can keep, in an airtight container, for two weeks. They are not as dry as most crackers, so if they lose their crispiness, simply reheat them in a hot toaster-oven for a few minutes to re-crisp them.
Makes: about 70 small crackers (1”x1”, 2.5cmx2.5cm)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 12-14 minutes
5 1/8 oz (150 grams) Parmesan cheese, cut into small cubes
2 cups raw no shell pumpkin seeds
1/3 cup prepared Pesto (preferably homemade. Click HERE for a recipe)
1 tsp salt
2 XL egg whites
½ cup water
1 cup spelt flour
¼ cup olive oil
½ cup whole wheat flour
2 Tbs Za’ater mix
1 tsp salt
1. Preheat the oven to 380F (195C). Line cookie sheet pans with baking paper.
2. Place the cheese, pumpkin seeds and salt in a food processor bowl, fitted with the metal blade. Process to a fairly fine texture. Add the pesto, egg whites, water, spelt and olive oil, and mix well. Add the whole wheat flour and Zater and mix again to a fairly sticky dough.
3. Place a large wax paper sheet on a work surface and put the dough in the center. Cover with another large sheet of wax paper and roll very thin with a rolling pin. Remove the top wax paper and cut with a sharp, heavy knife, into 1”x1” (2.5cm x 2.5cm) squares (or any other shape you prefer).
4. Place on the baking paper and bake for 12-14 minutes, or until the crackers are browned on the sides and bottom. Cool to room temperature and serve.