I hope that whoever invented Chocolate Crackles cookies (also known as Chocolate Crinkles) received some kind of reward or recognition, for creating these beautiful and tasty cookies. There are many variations for these great tasting cookies, but I especially like the one here, for its’ fairly short list of ingredients and ease of preparation.The result is chewy and chocolaty cookies on the inside, while the outer snowy-white cracked layer is crunchy and sweet. No wonder they are always a hit with guests of any age.
Makes: about 40 medium size cookies
Prep time: 20 minutes
Chilling time: 2 hours
Baking time: 10 minutes
For the cookies:
10.5 oz (300 grams) semi-sweet chocolate chips
4 Tbs oil
¾ cup sugar
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
For rolling the cookies:
About 2 cups powdered sugar
1. Melt the chocolate in a medium bowl placed over a pot with almost-boiling water (“Bain-Marie”).
2. Add the oil and sugar to the melted chocolate and whisk well. Add the eggs and vanilla. Mix again.
3. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the chocolate mixture and mix to a thick batter.
4. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 2 hours, to let the dough set before rolling.
5. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 355F (175C). Prepare 2 large cookie sheets.
6. Place the powdered sugar in a large bowl. Roll the chilled dough into 40 medium size balls. Roll each ball in the powdered sugar. Place the coated balls on the baking sheets, 2 inch (5 cm) apart.
7. Bake one pan while working on the next. If the dough becomes too soft, place it in the freezer for a few minutes, to let it set again.
8. Bake for 10 minutes. Don’t worry if the cookies seem soft in the middle – the cookies should be chewy, so it’s important not to over bake them. Let cool completely on racks. Store in airtight containers .