If you want to fill your kitchen with citrus fragrance, these easy to make cupcakes are the answer: they are loaded with lime juice and zest, and topped with lime icing. The result is light and refreshing cupcakes. The perfect treat for anyone who loves citrus cakes. Try them and enjoy.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 25 minutes
For the cupcakes:
1/3 cup fresh lime juice (from 2 medium limes)
2 Tbs lime zest
1/3 cup large chopped dried apricots
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup oil
1 cup sugar
2 XL eggs
1/3 cup sour cream
2 cups flour
1 Tbs baking powder
For the icing:
2 Tbs fresh lime juice
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp lime zest
1. Preheat the oven to 350F (175C). Place 12 baking cups in a muffin pan.
2. Zest and juice the limes. Cut the apricots (easier with scissors.) Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine the applesauce, oil, sugar, eggs and sour cream. Whisk to combine. Add the flour, baking powder and salt (preferably through a sifter.) Mix to an even batter. Add the lime juice, zest and dried apricots and mix well. Fill the baking papers with the batter.
4. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. (The cupcakes will be fairly pale. Don’t wait until they are golden or they will turn out too dry.) Let stand in the pan for a couple of minutes and then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
5. Mix the icing ingredients in a small bowl to form a soft paste. Spread about half teaspoon on each cupcake. Spread another layer, with the rest of the icing. (The icing will be runny at first but will set after a few minutes.)