The Holidays season brings with it lots of roast beef recipes, and rightly so, as it is one of the best dishes for an easy and tasty entertaining. The only problem is that many of these recipes are very long and detailed.
While it is the best approach for many, others may be deterred by the overwhelming information and end up thinking the dish is too complicated to even try. So, my goal here is to try to make the explanations as short and as simple as possible.
With this in mind, we still need to point out there are two important things to remember when preparing a roast beef: first, the meat has to be at room temperature before you put it in the oven. The second: plan the roasting time with the resting time in mind, as it is crucial to let the meat rest properly before slicing it. If you’ll remember these two simple rules, your success is guaranteed! So without further ado, let’s get roasting…
Roasting time for the vegetables: 40 minutes
Resting time for the meat: 20 minutes
For the meat:
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
3.8 lbs (1.7 kg) Rib meat, with the bones, at room temperature
1 Tbs Alaea Red Hawaiian sea salt (I find it to be the best for roasting, but you can use any other coarse salt you have)
1 tsp Creole seasoning
1 tsp blackening spice mix
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
For the vegetables:
About 20 mini seedless peppers
6 medium red potatoes, cut into large cubes
2 large carrots, cut into large sections
2 celery ribs, sliced
1 large onion, cut into medium sections
1 head of garlic, halved
2 sprigs fresh rosemary, coarsely cut
½ tsp each: paprika, freshly ground black pepper, Creole seasoning, cumin powder
1 Tbs salt or to taste
¼ cup olive oil
1. The meat: preheat the oven to 450F (230C). Line a roasting pan with aluminum foil, and place on it a large, crumbled, piece of baking paper. Place 2 springs of rosemary in the center.
2. Combine the salt and spices in a bowl and rub the top of the meat with it. Place the meat on top of the rosemary. Roast for 20 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 375F (190C).
3. Meanwhile, mix the vegetables with the rosemary, salt, spices and oil, in a roasting pan lined with aluminum foil and baking paper.
4. 40 minutes after you’ve reduced the oven temperature, place the vegetable pan next to the meat pan and roast together for 20 minutes.
5. After 20 minutes, take out the meat out of the oven (total roasting time: 80 minutes). Keep roasting the vegetables for 20 minutes longer (total roasting time: 40 minutes).
6. Cover the meat loosely with baking paper and aluminum foil, and let rest in a warm place for 20 minutes.
Time to slice the meat and serve it with the roasted vegetables.