You’ll probably notice that the batter doesn’t contain butter or oil, or any liquids. This is not a mistake – if you’ll make these cakes you’ll see that the sour cream, eggs and hazelnuts are sufficient for creating moist and flavorful cakes.
The cakes will keep, in an airtight container, for up to a week. They are wonderful for brunch or as a light dessert. Serve them as is, or with extra sour cream and cherry comfiture.
Makes: 8 mini-cakes 4.8″ (12cm) x W: 2.8″ (7cm)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 30 minutes
For the pan:
Melted butter or oil
¼ cup hazelnuts flour
For the cakes:
1 cup sugar
2 XL eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp espresso powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup hazelnut flour
1 cup flour
1 Tbs baking powder
24 pitted cherries comfiture
1. Preheat the oven to 3705F (185C). Butter or oil the pans and dust with hazelnuts flour.
2. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, eggs and sour cream and mix well with a whisk. Add the vanilla, espresso powder and cinnamon and mix again.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the hazelnut flour with the white flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the bowl with the sour cream mixture and mix to an even batter. Do not over-mix.
4. Divide the batter evenly among the mini pans. Place 3 cherries on each cake.
5. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cake (not near the cherries) comes out almost dry.
6. Let cool in the pan for 2-3 minutes before carefully removing the cakes to a rack to cool completely.