Prep time: 20 minutes
Chilling time: 2 hours
Baking time: 15 minutes
1 stick (115 grams) butter, soft
1 cup sugar
2 XL eggs
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
1 Tbs lemon zest
½ tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1/3 cup dried sour cherries, pitted, roughly chopped
1/3 cup raw pistachios, roughly chopped
For the icing:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbs lemon juice
¼ cup raw pistachios, finely chopped
1. In a mixer bowl, combine the butter and sugar. Mix with the mixing hook for 2-3 minutes on medium-low speed. Clean the sides of the bowl with a spatula and add the eggs. Mix for 2-3 minutes, to a light and fluffy cream.
2. Clean the sides of the bowl with a spatula, and add the lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla, flour, baking powder and salt. Mix on low speed, to a soft dough. Add the sour cherries and pistachios and mix briefly. Cover the dough with wax paper and place in the fridge for two hours.
3. Preheat the oven to 350F (175C). Line 2 cookie sheets with baking paper. Shape the dough into 40 balls about 1 inch (2 cm). Place on the cookie sheets, about 1 inch (2cm) apart.
4. Bake for about 15 minutes, changing the sheets position in the oven halfway through. (When done, the cookies will be still pale at the top, so use a spatula to lift one and see if it is golden-brown at the bottom to determine if they are ready.) Let cool completely on a rack before icing.
5. The icing: mix the icing ingredients in a small bowl to form a soft paste. Dip each cookie, top side down, in the icing. Place on a cookie sheet and sprinkle the finely chopped pistachios on top. The cookies can keep, in an airtight container, for up to a week.