This rustic dish, of beautifully roasted chicken with potatoes and other vegetables, makes entertaining of a fairly large group of guests an easy task. Everything is prepared in advance, and then roasted in one pan about an hour before serving.
The dish is very versatile; mix and match vegetables according to your liking. Do try to avoid “watery” vegetables such as zucchini or cut tomatoes, as they will add too much liquid and will interfere with the roasting process. For the same reason, it is important not to add any liquids to the seasoning, and to roast the dish uncovered.
The dish is best served “family style”: place the prepared pan on a side table and let your guests help themselves. Add a bowl of green salad on the side, and you have the perfect leisurely weekend lunch. Try it and enjoy.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Chilling time:minimum 2 hours and up to overnight
Roasting time: 1 hour
For the spice mix:
2 Tbs salt
1½ Tbs paprika
½ tsp cayenne powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp sumac (optional)
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp freshly grated 4 peppers mix, or black pepper
1/3 cup light olive oil
For the chicken and vegetables:
12 medium size chicken thighs, preferably organic
6-8 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced thick
1 large yellow onion, cut in half and sliced thick
1 head garlic, cleaned and cut in half
3 medium carrots, peeled, cut into thick sticks
2 stalks celery, sliced thick
3 large peppers, de-seeded and cut into thick strips
about 20 cherry tomatoes
1. Mix the spices with the oil in a large bowl. Add the chicken thighs to the bowl and mix well with your hands (kitchen gloves are recommended for this).
2. Add the prepared vegetables, except for the cherry tomatoes, to the bowl with the chicken. Mix well with your hands (again, using kitchen gloves) to cover with the spice mix. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours, and up to overnight.
3. When ready to roast, bring to room temperature. Preheat the oven to 410F (210C). Line a large oven pan with aluminum foil and baking paper.
4. Arrange the potatoes in one layer in the pan. Add the chicken thighs on top, in one layer. Scatter all the rest of the vegetables all over. Toss the cherry tomatoes in the spice mix that was left in the bowl and scatter them on top.
5. Roast, uncovered, for 1 hour, or until the chicken skin is crispy and the vegetables are roasted through. Let stand in the pan for 10 minutes before serving.