This rustic dish, of beautifully roasted chicken with potatoes and other vegetables, makes entertaining of a fairly large group of guests an easy task. Everything is prepared in advance, and roasted in one pan about an hour before serving.
The dish is very versatile; mix and match vegetables according to your liking and season. Do try to avoid “watery” vegetables such as zucchini or cut tomatoes, as they will add too much liquid and will interfere with the roasting process. For the same reason, it is important not to add any liquids to the seasoning, and to roast the dish uncovered.
The dish is best served “family style”: place the prepared pan on a side table and let your guests help themselves. Add a bowl of green salad on the side, and you have the perfect leisurely weekend lunch.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Chilling time: minimum 2 hours and up to overnight
Roasting time: 1 hour
For the spice mix:
2 Tbs salt
1 ½ Tbs paprika
½ tsp cayenne
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp sumac (optional)
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp freshly grated 4 peppers mix, or black pepper
1/3 cup light olive oil
For the chicken and vegetables:
12 medium size chicken thighs, preferably organic
6-8 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced thick
1 large yellow onion, cut in half and sliced thick
1 head garlic, cleaned and cut in half
3 medium carrots, peeled, cut into thick sticks
2 stalks celery, sliced thick
3 large peppers, deseeded and cut into large strips
about 20 cherry tomatoes
1. Mix the spices with the oil in a large bowl. Wash the chicken thighs and dry with paper towels. Add to the bowl with the spice mix and mix well with your hands (it’s best to use thin gloves for this.)
2. Add the prepared vegetables, except of the cherry tomatoes, to the bowl with the chicken. Mix well with your hands (again, using thin kitchen gloves), to make sure they are covered with the spice mix. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours, and up to overnight.
3. When ready to roast, take the bowl out of the fridge and bring to room temperature. Preheat the oven to 410F (210C). Line a large oven pan with aluminum foil and baking paper.
4. Arrange the potatoes in one layer in the pan. Add the chicken thighs on top, in one layer. Scatter all the rest of the vegetables all over. Toss the cherry tomatoes in the spice mix that was left in the bowl and scatter them on top.
5. Roast, uncovered, for 1 hour, or until the chicken skin is crispy and the vegetables are roasted through. Take out of the oven and let stand in the pan for 10 minutes before serving.