Very often we describe frozen products as less nutritious and healthy, compared to fresh ones. However, in many cases it is far from true. Good quality frozen vegetables and fruits are often cut and frozen very close to picking, therefore keeping their nutritional values better than vegetables or fruits that were shipped from afar and ended up on the shelves long after they were picked. This is also the case with some meats, fish or seafood, that are frozen soon after catching.
Does this mean I preach to give up on buying fresh produce? Not at all! There is nothing better than fresh produce, especially from farmers’ markets stands.
However, as fresh produce is not always available, and we don’t always have the luxury of time to buy and prepare it, it is important to remember that having at hand good quality frozen ingredients, can enable us to prepare nutritious, healthy and tasty dinners in minutes.
The dish shown here is a perfect example for this: it is prepared by using frozen ingredients, with a few condiments that we usually keep in the fridge and pantry.
In less than 20 minutes, you can prepare a tasty dish, that no doubt will be tastier and fresher than any take-away food.
I’m sure you’ll enjoy this recipe once you’ll make it, or use it as a base for creating your own dish.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
About ½ lb (225 grams) frozen large shrimps, peeled and deveined
1 cup frozen green beans
1 cup frozen pineapple cubes
1/4 cup water
2 cubes (2 tsp) frozen minced ginger
2 servings (3 oz, 90 grams) thin rice noodles
1 Tbs oil
1 tsp salt
2 Tbs ketchup
1 Tbs soy sauce
Hot sauce or Cayenne pepper to taste
1 Tbs butter
1 tsp cornstarch, mixed with 1 Tbs water
1. Place the shrimps in a bowl, add water and let thaw, about 5 minutes. Drain and place over paper towels to dry.
2. Place the green beans in a small bowl and cover with water. Let stand for 2-3 minutes, drain and cut into medium pieces.
3. Place the pineapple cubes in a bowl. Add ¼ cup water and the ginger cubes. Let stand for 2-3 minutes. Mix and keep in the water.
4. Place the rice noodles in a bowl, pour boiling water on and let sit for 3 minutes. Drain and transfer into serving bowls. Keep aside.
5. Pour the oil into a large pan. Heat over medium-high heat and add the shrimps, in one layer. Fry for 1 minute and turn over. Sprinkle the salt over and cook for 1 minute. Add the pineapple, with the water and the ginger, the ketchup, cayenne or hot sauce.
Mix and cook for 2 minutes. Add the butter and mix until it melts.
6. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Add the cornstarch-water mix. Mix and cook for 1 minute, until the sauce thickens. Turn off the heat, add the cut green beans and mix to coat with the sauce. Serve over the prepared rice noodles.