Continuing with the meringue theme, here is another easy and tasty recipe that is just perfect for festive entertaining. This impressive dessert can be made ahead and assembled just before serving. It is light, flourless, and wonderful when served after a heavy meal.
I love the combination of the sweet meringue and the tartness of the lemon curd. If you’re not into making the lemon curd, you can use good quality store bought, or use flavored whipped cream instead. Serve with fresh berries, or any other fresh fruits, and enjoy.
* If this is the first time you’re preparing meringue, check last week’s recipe for a more detailed explanation about preparing it.
* For lemon curd recipe, click HERE. For Meyer lemon curd recipe, click HERE.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 2 hours
Resting time: 2 hours
1 cup fine sugar
1 Tbs cornstarch
4 XL fresh egg whites, at room temperature
½ tsp vinegar
1 tsp vanilla (preferable vanilla paste)
¼ tsp salt
1. Preheat the oven to 200F (93C). Line two cookie sheets with baking paper. 2. In a small bowl, mix the sugar with the cornstarch.
3. Separate the eggs carefully and place the egg whites in a mixer bowl, fitted with the whipping hook. Add the vinegar and start whipping on medium-low speed.
4. When large bubbles start to form, increase the mixer speed to medium and start adding the sugar slowly. Increase the speed to medium-high and continue whipping until a firm and shiny meringue is formed. In the last stage of whipping, add the vanilla and salt. Fill a pastry bag, fitted with a star tip, with the meringue.
5. Lower the oven temperature to 190F (88C). Pipe 12 4” (10cm) discs on the paper, and then, create “nests” by piping one or two ring layers around the edges. Use any leftover meringue to pipe smaller discs that can be used as a cover, or prepare “kisses” as shown in THIS recipe. Bake for 2 hours. Turn off the heat and keep in the oven for 2 hours.
6. Keep the prepared nests and discs at room temperature in a dry area, for up to 3 days.
7. Fill each nest with 1-2 Tbs lemon curd just before serving. Add a disc to top (optional), berries or any other fresh fruits.