If you’ve followed this blog for a while, you’ve probably noticed my fondness for chicken roasted with lemon. The following super easy to make dish, of chicken wings and potatoes, is another example of that. This time, the chicken and potatoes get their wonderful aroma and unique color and flavor not only from the combination of white wine and lemon, but also from the addition of saffron. Marinating and roasting these ingredients together results tasty golden wings, potato wedges and caramelized lemon, that are perfect for serving for lunch on a hot summer day. Serve them with chilled fruity white wine, or cold lemonade, and enjoy.
* Alaea, Hawaiian red salt, is an unrefined sea salt that has been mixed with a red alae volcanic clay. It’s great for roasting and adds an earthy flavor to the dish. It is available in specialty stores or online. If you can’t find it, replace it with any other coarse sea salt.
* The color will develop and deepen while roasting, so don’t be alarmed if the chicken looks pale after marinating.
* For larger quantity, simply double or even triple the amounts.
Prep time: 15 minutes:
Marinating time: 2 hours and up to overnight
Roasting time: 1 hour 15 minutes
About 10 saffron threads
1 Tbs warm water
1 large lemon, washed
1 cup fruity white wine (I used Riesling)
2 tsp Hawaiian Alaea salt (see notes)
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
½ tsp freshly ground four peppers mix
1 Tbs dried shallots
1.5 Lbs (680 grams) chicken wings, divided, without the tip
4-5 medium thin skin potatoes, unpeeled, cut into medium wedges
2 Tbs olive oil
1. In a small bowl, mix the saffron with warm water and set aside for 5 minutes. Juice the lemon and slice the remaining into segments.
2. In a large bowl, mix the wine, saffron, lemon juice, salt, garlic, pepper, and dried shallots. Add the chicken wings and mix well. Transfer into a Ziploc bag and place in the fridge for 2 hours and up to overnight.
3. When ready to roast, bring the chicken to room temperature and preheat the oven to 420F (215C). Line a roasting pan with baking paper and add the chicken wings, with the marinade. Add the potatoes and mix to coat with the marinade, and place the lemon wedges on top. Pour the olive oil all over.
4. Roast for 1 hour and 15 minutes, turning the wings twice, until the wings and potatoes are done and golden, and the lemon slices caramelize.