I posted the original recipe for these tasty cookies almost three years ago (recipe can be found HERE). Since then, I’ve made various variations of the basic dough, but neglected to photograph these variations.
When I was about to bake the cookies again this week, I decided it was time to document the new batch, and the result is in front of you. The only difference between this recipe and the former, is that this time I didn’t use demerara sugar, simply because I ran out of it. However, the cookies still came out delicious. Try them and enjoy.
* If you have the time, let the dough with the raisins/dried cranberries freeze overnight. This will allow the dried fruits to soften and allow for easier cutting.
* The cookies are baked from frozen.
* Pearl sugar can be found in specialty stores or online.
Makes: 80-90 cookies
Prep time: 30 minutes
Freezing time: 4 hours minimum, preferably overnight
Baking time: 15-17 minutes
1 stick (115 grams) butter, soft
1 cup white sugar
¼ tsp salt
1 XL egg
2 ½ cups flour
1 tsp vanilla
1-2 Tbs milk, only if needed
For the different flavors:
Option 1: ¼ cup unsweetened desiccated coconut + ¼ cup golden raisins mixed with 2 Tbs dark rum
Option 2: ¼ cup chocolate chips + ¼ cup dried cranberries
Option 3: 2 tsp cooking grade dried lavender buds + 2 Tbs pearl sugar (see notes) for coating
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the butter, sugar and salt. Add the egg and whisk to incorporate. Add the flour and vanilla, and knead to form a ball of dough. If the dough is too dry, add 1-2 Tbs milk, at room temperature, to help bind it. Make sure not to add too much milk. Cut the dough into 3 portions.
2. Add to each portion one of the flavorings above. Knead to incorporate and roll each into a log about 1.6” (4 cm) thick, and about 11” (28cm) long. Roll the lavender dough in pearl sugar. Wrap each log in wax paper and place on a tray. Place in the freezer for 4 hours minimum, preferably overnight. At this point, the dough can be kept in freezer bags in the freezer for up to two months.
3. To bake: preheat the oven to 355F (180C). Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place the dough logs on a cutting board and cut, with a sharp, heavy knife, into thin slices, about 0.2”(0.5 cm).
4. Bake, from frozen, for about 15-17 minutes, until the cookies are lightly golden at the bottom and sides. They will still be quite pale on top. Let cool in the pan for 2-3 minutes, before transferring to a rack to cool completely.