Quick and easy to prepare, these tasty bar cookies will please anyone who loves the combination of peanut butter and jelly.
For the dough, I chose to use cream cheese instead of butter, which, combined with the peanut butter, created a unique flavor and texture. To make things even more interesting, I used two types of jam, with different colors and flavors. The jam layer was then topped with a bit of crumbled dough, and crushed salted roasted peanuts, which added a nice crispy texture, and light saltiness, that balanced the sweetness beautifully.
Cut into any size you prefer, these bar cookies are perfect for brunch, or as a snack any time of the day. Try them and enjoy.
* If you prefer sweeter cookies, use sweetened peanut butter instead of the unsweetened one I used.
Makes: 35 medium size bars
Prep time: 15 minutes
Chilling time: 1 hour
Baking time: 40 minutes
8 oz (225 grams) Philadelphia cream cheese, soft
1 cup unsweetened smooth peanut butter, soft (see notes)
½ cup powdered sugar
1 cup flour
2-4 Tbs whole milk
¾ cup smooth apricot jam
½ cup smooth four berries jam, or any red jam
½ cup salted roasted peanuts, coarsely crushed
1. Place the cream cheese, peanut butter and powdered sugar in a large bowl. Mix with a hand mixer to combine. Add the flour and knead, adding milk as needed, to create a soft dough. Wrap with wax paper and place in the fridge for 1 hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 350F (175C). Line a 7”x11” (18cm x 28cm) baking pan with baking paper.
3. Press ¾ of the dough over the baking paper. Spread the apricot jam over it, and then add dollops of the red jam on top. Crumble the rest of the dough over and scatter the crushed salted peanuts all over.
4. Bake for 40 minutes, until the top is golden brown. Cool on a rack to room temperature before cutting.