This tasty and aromatic bake is the easiest way to serve pasta to a large party. It is based on the East-European Jewish “Kugel” dish, that is more known in its sweet version.
To the simple basic mixture of cooked egg noodles and cottage cheese, I’ve added here a good portion of sautéed mushrooms and onions, Feta and Parmesan cheese, and a crunchy topping. The bake turned out to be a crowd pleaser, and despite the large portion, disappeared very quickly. Served with a green salad on the side, the bake is a wonderful option for brunch buffet. Served with roasted vegetables, it can also be a main course of a vegetarian lunch or dinner. Another option is to serve it as a side dish, with fish, meat or chicken. Try it and enjoy.
* If the portion is too large for your needs, simply cut all the ingredients in half, and bake in a smaller pan.
* Another option is to bake the suggested amount, and freeze the extra portions, for up to a month. Reheat slowly in a toaster oven, not in the microwave.
* Feta cheese varies in saltiness level from one brand to another. Taste it and adjust the salt level accordingly.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 40 minutes
For the bake:
1 Tbs oil
2 Tbs butter
1 medium onion, medium diced
8 oz (225 grams) button mushrooms, legs removed, cut into quarters
8 oz (225 grams) baby bells mushrooms, legs removed, cut into quarters
2 tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground four peppers mix
12 oz (340 grams) egg noodles
8 oz (225 grams) Feta cheese (see notes)
1 Lb (454 grams) small curd cottage cheese
1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
4 L eggs
2 Tbs chopped parsley
For the topping:
¼ cup chopped parsley
2 Tbs finely grated Parmesan cheese
3 Tbs Panko breadcrumbs
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp freshly ground four peppers mix
1. Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan, over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion, 1 tsp salt and ¼ tsp ground pepper and sauté, mixing occasionally, until the onion softens and starts to brown. Add the cut mushrooms and sauté, mixing occasionally, until they are cooked through and the liquids absorbed. Cool to room temperature.
2. Meanwhile, cook the egg noodles according to the package directions, and drain. Let cool to room temperature.
3. Preheat the oven to 350F (175C). Line a 7”x11” (18cm x 28cm) baking pan with baking paper.
4. In a large bowl, mix the Feta, cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, eggs and rest of the salt and pepper. Mix well and add the mushrooms and parsley. Mix again and transfer into the lined pan, leveling the top with a spatula.
5. In a small bowl, mix the topping ingredients and scatter over the top.
6. Bake for 40 minutes, until the bake is set and the topping is golden brown. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, before cutting.