While I mostly prefer a protein-based breakfast, I also like to have other options every now and then. The following super-healthy bars are a good example of that: they are loaded with high fiber ingredients, fairly low on sugar and fat, and are a great tasty way to start the day.
With a texture that is somewhere in between a moist carrot cake and chewy bars, and a crunchy top from raw unpeeled almonds, the bars can be served at the table, topped with yogurt or sour cream. They can also be easily packed as a breakfast on the go, or served as a snack any time of the day. Try them and enjoy.
* The bars can be frozen, for up to two moths. For best results, freeze them separately on a tray, before sealing in freezer bags.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 40 minutes
8-9 medium carrots (3 cups grated)
3 L eggs
¾ cup dark brown sugar
½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
¼ cup oil
½ cup almond flour
1 cup spelt flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
½ cup golden raisins
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp vanilla paste
½ cup raw unpeeled almonds, coarsely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 350F (175C). Line a 12”x8” (20.5cm x 30cm) baking pan with baking paper.
2. Peel the carrots and coarsely grate them. Measure 3 cups and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, and applesauce. Add the oil, almond flour, spelt flour, baking powder and salt, and whisk to a smooth batter.
4. Add the coconut, raisins, cinnamon and vanilla, and mix lightly with a spatula. Pour the batter into the lined pan and scatter the chopped almonds on top.
5. Bake for about 40 minutes, until the batter sets and the almonds start to brown.Keep in the pan for five minutes, before transferring to a large cutting board. Cut into bars with a sharp, heavy knife.