The following tasty dish is quick and easy to make, and will fill your kitchen with amazing earthy fragrances.
Starting with sautéing shallots and fresh rosemary in butter, then adding chicken thighs, mushrooms, chestnuts and red wine, each addition adds its’ unique fragrance and flavors. All this is finished with tangy sour cream, and served immediately, while almost bubbling, creating a perfect dish for a winter day lunch or dinner.
Serve it with some fresh bread on the side, or any other side dish you prefer, and enjoy.
* Freshly roasted or boiled chestnuts can be used instead of the store-bought ones I’ve used here. The process, however, will increase the prep time considerably.
* For less tangy sauce, heavy cream can be used instead of the sour cream.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
2 Tbs butter, soft
1 Tbs oil
2 medium shallots (or 1 small red onion), roughly chopped
2 tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground four peppers mix
Leaves from 3 sprigs fresh rosemary, roughly chopped
1 lbs (455 grams) skinless, boneless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into medium size pieces
4 oz (115 grams) mixed mushroom (I used shitake, oyster and baby bella), roughly chopped
5.2 oz (150 grams) roasted peeled chestnuts (see notes), roughly chopped
¾ cup red wine (I used Merlot)
3 Tbs sour cream (see notes)
1. In a large pan, mix the butter, oil, shallots, half of the salt and pepper and half of the rosemary leaves. Sauté over medium-high heat, mixing occasionally, until the shallots soften and start to brown.
2. Add the chicken pieces, in one layer. Sprinkle the rest of the salt and pepper and sauté for about 2-3 minutes, until lightly golden. Flip and sauté for another 3-4 minutes.
3. Add the mushrooms, mix and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the chestnuts, and mix.
4. Add the wine, mix well and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook until most of the wine evaporates.
5. Lower the heat to medium-low and add the sour cream. Mix gently, taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
6. Sprinkle the rest of rosemary on top and serve.