The following tofu snacks will no doubt delight even hard core carnivores.
The cubes of somewhat anemic flavored tofu, are first placed in a highly flavorful, sweet-salty-spicy marinade, to absorb the flavors. They are then topped with roasted sesame seeds and baked until they are golden and delicious.
Chopped scallions on top add a fresh green contrast, and pickled ginger add its unique flavor and texture, to round up the flavors.
Don’t let this seemingly large amount deter you – it will disappear very quickly. The warm and tasty snacks are perfect for serving as part of buffet style party, as a nibble when serving alcoholic drinks, or even as an addition to green salads. Try it and enjoy.
Makes: 90 cubes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Marinating time: 25 minutes
Baking time: 20 minutes
15.5 oz (440 grams) extra firm tofu
½ cup soy sauce
¼ cup Hoisin sauce
1 Tbs maple syrup
2 tsp Sriracha hot sauce
1 Tbs toasted sesame oil
2 tsp cornstarch
1 Tbs roasted white sesame seeds
2 scallions, roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 375F (190C). Line a small baking tray with foil and baking paper.
2. Cut the tofu into medium size cubes. Place in a flat container, in one layer, and pour the soy sauce over. Keep at room temperature for 10 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, mix the hoisin sauce, maple syrup, Sriracha sauce and sesame oil. Pour over the tofu and mix gently. Marinate for 10 minutes.
4. Add the cornstarch and mix gently. Keep at room temperature for 5 minutes.
5. Mix gently again, and arrange the cubes and marinade in the baking tray, in one layer. Scatter the sesame seeds on top.
6. Bake for about 20 minutes, until the tofu is golden and the marinade thickens.
7. Let cool a bit and transfer to a serving plate. Scatter the chopped scallions on top, and add the pickled ginger on the side.