The following light and airy cookies contain few ingredients, but lots of flavor and different textures. They are dairy free and gluten free, which makes them ideal for entertaining.
Unlike the crispy-dry meringue “kisses” (click HERE for recipe), these ones’ texture resembles more the “Pavlova” type of meringue, i.e, crisp crust with a somewhat moist and chewy inside. This also allows for a much shorter baking time.
The sliced almonds add crunchy texture and nutty flavor, which is enhanced with the addition of cocoa and espresso powders and vanilla.
Even though the cookies can be served as is, I decided to add another layer of flavor to them, by drizzling melted chocolate over. While at it, I dipped some fresh fruits in the remaining melted chocolate, which made for a tasty addition, to be served with the cookies. Try them and enjoy.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 20 minutes
6 oz (170 grams) sliced almonds
2 Tbs cornstarch
1 Tbs cocoa powder
½ tsp espresso powder
¼ tsp salt
1¼ cups sugar
3 egg whites, at room temperature
1 tsp white wine vinegar
½ tsp vanilla
For the chocolate drizzle and dipped fruits (optional):
½ cup mini dark mini chocolate chips
2 tsp oil
Fruits for dipping
- Preheat the oven to 350F (175C). Line a cookie sheet pan with baking paper.
- In a small bowl, mix the almonds with the cornstarch, cocoa powder, espresso powder, salt and ¼ cup of the sugar, and set aside.
- Place the egg whites in a medium bowl, add the vinegar and vanilla, and start to whip with a hand mixer on medium speed, until small bubbles appear. Increase the speed to medium-high, and whip until large bubbles appear. Slowly add the remaining 1 cup sugar, and whip to a stable, but fairly soft meringue.
- Add the almonds mixture, and mix gently with a spatula. Drop 20 x 2 Tbs each of the mixture onto the baking paper.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the meringues are puffed and the crust is dry and crisp.
- Let cool in the pan, over a rack. To release the cookies from the pan, lift them carefully, using a metal spatula.
- Chocolate drizzle and dipped fruits: Mix the chocolate chips and oil in a small bowl, heat in the microwave for 15 seconds. Mix and repeat 1-2 times, until the chocolate melts. Mix again and drizzle a bit of it over the cooled meringues. Dip fresh fruits in the remaining melted chocolate, place on wax paper, to let set before serving with the cookies.