With fresh corn season about to end, I chose the next best thing, frozen corn, to make the following tasty mini bakes.
Corn and cheese pair so well together, and each of the four different types I’ve used added its unique flavor and texture to the corn: fresh and tangy cottage cheese, salty-briny feta cheese, extra sharp cheddar cheese, and nutty-fragrant Parmesan cheese.
To this tasty mixture base, I’ve added a bit of mustard, to deepen the cheese flavors, chopped jalapeño and scallions for added freshness and moderate spiciness, and a handful of chopped pimento stuffed green olives, for another layer of tanginess.
These mini bakes are perfect for a light lunch, with a green salad on the side, as a base for poached eggs for a weekend brunch, or as a snack on their own any time of the day. Try them and enjoy.
* Check THIS post for instructions on how to poach eggs.
* The amount I have here is quite large, but the bakes freeze well, so it’s worth it to make more. However, if it’s still too much for your needs, you can simply cut the amount of ingredients by half, and proceed according to the instructions.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 40 minutes
2 Lbs (907 grams) frozen golden sweet corn, thawed
2 tsp salt
½ tsp freshly grated four peppers mix
1 small jalapeno, deseeded, roughly chopped
2 scallions, roughly chopped
1 Tbs Dijon mustard
1 Lbs (453 grams) cottage cheese 4% fat
4 oz (115 grams) extra sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
4 oz (115 grams) feta cheese, crumbled
2 oz (55 grams) Parmesan cheese, finely grated
3 L eggs
¼ cup flour
½ cup pimento stuffed green olives, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 355F (180C). Line two muffin pans with baking paper cups.
- Place the corn in a large bowl. Using a hand blender, coarsely blend about 1/3 of the corn. Add the rest of ingredients, and mix well to combine.
- Divide the mixture between the baking cups. Bake for about 40 minutes, until the bakes are set and the top is golden. Serve warm or at room temperature.