Roasted chicken with lemon is a favorite dish, which I make often, while adding different ingredients to the basic combination.
In the following recipe, I’ve added a large amount of fresh herbs, grape tomatoes and yellow potatoes to the mix. All the ingredients were then coated with fresh lemon juice and olive oil, and placed in the fridge to marinate for 4 hours – which helped the chicken and potatoes absorb the fresh herbs and lemon fragrance and flavors.
This tasty dish is very easy to assemble, and will fill your kitchen with wonderful aromas while roasting. Arranging the potatoes at the bottom of the pan, allows them to absorb all the juices while roasting, while elevating the chicken thighs creates an extra crispy skin. The roasted grape tomatoes add a nice sweetish fresh flavor, and the roasted lemon wedges and herbs make a special delightful treat their own. Try it and enjoy.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Chilling time: 4 hours
Roasting time: 1 hour
1.6 lbs (725 grams) chicken thighs, bone in, skin on (preferably air-chilled)
8 oz (225 grams) grape tomatoes
6 fresh thyme sprigs
2 fresh sage sprigs
2 fresh rosemary sprigs
2 large garlic cloves, peeled and roughly cut
1½ Tbs salt (or to taste)
½ tsp freshly ground four peppers mix
1 medium thin skin juicy lemon, washed
6 medium yellow potatoes
¼ cup olive oil
- Place the chicken, grape tomatoes, herbs, garlic, salt and pepper, in a large bowl. Mix gently, so that the herbs and garlic will bruise a bit and release their fragrant oils.
- Juice the lemon and pour over the chicken. Cut into large wedges, add to the bowl and mix.
- Wash the potatoes and dry with paper towels. Cut in half, then into medium pieces. Add to the bowl and mix well. Pour the olive oil all over and mix again.
- Cover the bowl and place in the fridge for 4 hours, mixing occasionally. When ready to roast, bring to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 390F (200C). Line a roasting pan with aluminum foil and baking paper.
- Arrange the potatoes at the bottom of the pan. Arrange the chicken, herbs, grape tomatoes and lemon on top.
- Roast for 1 hour, until the chicken skin is golden-brown and crispy, and the potatoes are done. Serve immediately.