Ricotta cheese has a fresh, tangy flavor, and a slight grainy texture. It can be used in both savory and sweet dishes. Mixed with sugar, it makes a tasty filling for sweet pastries, and it is often used to bake cheesecakes, as in the following recipe.
The cake contains a fairly short list of ingredients, and is very easy to prepare. The cheese’s unique texture holds well on it’s own, without the need to line the pan with pastry, which is ideal when looking for a gluten free cake. As the cheese pairs beautifully with citrus fruits, and dried fruits, I used them both, to add flavor and texture to the cake.
After “low and slow” baking, the cake is refrigerated overnight, to let it set, and develop its flavors fully. It is perfect for serving with hot beverages any time of the day. Try it and enjoy.
* Malted milk powder is a mix of whole milk powder and malted barely/wheat. It is mostly used when preparing malted milkshakes, but it also used in baking. The powder enhances both flavor and texture of pastries and cakes. It is available in specially stores or online. If you prefer a gluten free cake, omit it.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Baking time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Chilling time: overnight
1 cup golden and dark raisins
¼ cup dark rum
1 cup sugar
¼ cup powdered sugar
2 Tbs malted milk powder (see notes)
½ cup cornstarch
¼ tsp salt
¼ cup fresh orange juice
1 tsp vanilla
3 L eggs
2 Lbs (900 grams) whole milk ricotta cheese
- Mix the raisins an rum in a small bowl, and keep at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 320F (160C). Line a 10.2” (26cm) baking pan with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, mix the sugar, powdered sugar, malted milk powder, cornstarch, salt and orange zest.
- Add the orange juice, vanilla and eggs. Whisk, add the cheese, and whisk to a smooth batter. Mix in the raisins and rum with a spatula. Pour the better into the lined pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, until the cake sets. Turn the oven off, and leave the cake in it for 1 hour. Take out and let cool to room temperature.
- Transfer to the fridge and let cool completely. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and keep in the fridge overnight.
- Transfer to a serving plate and dust with powdered sugar. Cut into sections and serve with sliced orange on the side.