Starting the day with an egg dish is always a popular choice. However, when there’s a need is for more than one or two, things can get a bit more complicated.
The answer for that is to divide the eggs mixture, with some additions, into muffin cups, and bake them, instead of frying. This not only makes them a healthier alternative to fried eggs, but also much easier to serve.
To make the mini bakes even healthier, this time I’ve decided to use a fairly large amount of steamed spinach as the main ingredient, and to also make them gluten free.
Three different kinds of freshly grated cheeses, and some roughly cut ham, added lots of flavors, textures, and more protein to the bakes. A dash of fresh ground four peppers mix, nutmeg and mustard was all that was needed to season the mixture.
The mixture can be made a few hours in advance, leaving only dividing into the baking cups and baking, close to serving time.
While the mini bakes are perfect for serving at breakfast or brunch, they can also make a tasty light lunch, or early dinner. Try them and enjoy.
* For the ham, I used Applegate’s organic uncured Black Forest ham. Uncured deli meats are not submerged in sodium nitrates or nitrites solutions, which makes them a somewhat healthier option compared to other deli meats.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 30 minutes
1 bag – 160z (454 grams) fresh whole spinach leaf
1-2 tsp salt
¼ tsp freshly ground four peppers mix
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 Tbs Dijon mustard
3 oz (85 grams) pepper jack cheese, coarsely grated
3 oz (85 grams) sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
2 oz (55 grams) Parmesan cheese, finely grated
5 L eggs, whisked
4 oz (115 grams) cooked ham, coarsely chopped (see notes)
- Preheat the oven to 380F (195C). Place 12 paper baking cups in a muffin pan.
- Wash the spinach and place, still wet, in a wide pot. Sprinkle with a bit of the salt and cover. Steam over medium-high heat for 2- minutes, until the spinach wilts. Bring to room temperature, cut roughly with a sharp knife.
- Place the spinach in a large bowl, add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Divide the mixture between the baking cups. Bake for about 30 minutes, until the mixture puffs, and the bakes are golden brown on top. Serve warm.