The combination of roasted chicken and potatoes is a popular one, and it’s always enjoyable to create another version for this tasty combination. The following dish is yet another example for how tasty it can be.
This flavorful dish is quick to assemble and can be prepared in advance, up to the roasting time, which allows for easy and relaxed entertaining.
The marinade is a mix of salty, sweet, spicy and sour ingredients, that both adds flavor to the chicken wings, and tenderizes them at the same time. The sugar in the ketchup, date syrup and apricot jam, caramelizes while roasting, and lends a lovely caramel flavor and color to them.
The baby potatoes are lightly cooked, then cut in half and placed in the roasting pan, as a bed for the chicken wings. This way, they absorb both the marinade and chicken flavors, and turn into a tasty addition to the wings. They can be served with the chicken wings, and can also be used to create a tasty potato salad.
Both wings and potatoes are perfect for serving for lunch, with a green salad on the side, or as a part of the coming 4th of July buffet table. Try them and enjoy.
Happy 4th of July!
* If you prefer grilling the wings, instead of roasting, avoid the hot gill center, as otherwise the skin might burn before they are done, due to the sugar in the marinade.
Prep time: 55 minutes
Marinating time: minimum 4 hours and up to overnight
Cooking time for the potatoes: 4-5 minutes
Roasting time: 50-55 minutes
1.75 lbs (795 grams) small chicken wings (preferably air-chilled)
For the marinade:
1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup ketchup
2 Tbs date syrup (or honey, or maple syrup)
1 Tbs harissa paste
1 Tbs apricot jam
1 Tbs salt
½ tsp freshly ground four peppers mix
A few drops hot sauce, to taste
For the potatoes:
1.3 lbs (600 grams) Baby potatoes
2 scallions, roughly cut
- Divide the chicken wings, and remove the tips (save for stock).
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients for the marinade. Add the wings and mix well. Place in a large Ziplock bag. Squeeze the air out and seal. Place in the fridge for at least 4 hours and up to overnight. When ready to roast, bring to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 370 F (185C). Line a roasting pan with baking paper.
- Place the potatoes in a wide pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat to medium-high and cook for 1-2 minutes, just until the potatoes are a bit soft, but still firm. Drain and cool to room temperature. With a small sharp knife, cut them in half, and place in the pan, in one layer.
- Pour the marinade over the potatoes, and place the wings on top.
- Roast for about 50-55 minutes, until the wings are dark brown, and the potatoes are done. Scatter the scallions on top and serve.