The following tasty quick dish was created with busy days in mind: it can be prepared in less than half an hour, yet it is healthy and nutritionally balanced.
Using frozen shrimps, that can be thawed very quickly, is the base for the dish, following with a medley of colorful vegetables, such as corn, peppers and asparagus (or any other you have at hand). Spicy seasonings add a nice kick to the mix, while cilantro, scallions and lemon juice, add freshness and texture. The dish is perfect for serving as a light lunch or dinner. Try it and enjoy.
* Zhoug is an aromatic Yemenite hot pepper and cilantro paste. I used my homemade Zhoug spread, but any store bought one can be used instead.
* Old Bay seasoning is a popular aromatic blend of spices, used mostly for seafood. It contains celery salt, paprika, black pepper, cayenne, mustard powder, allspice, and some other spices. If you can’t find it, check for copy-cat recipes on the net.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
24-26 peeled and deveined medium shrimps, thawed
1 bunch fresh asparagus
7-8 mini peppers
Small bunch cilantro
2 Tbs light olive oil
1 Tbs butter
Salt to taste
1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
1 tsp Old Bay seasoning mix (see notes)
2 tsp Zhoug paste (see notes)
1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
1 tsp honey
Cooked Basmati rice (optional)
- Place the thawed shrimps on paper towels and keep on the side.
- Cut off an inch of the asparagus’ ends, then cut into large sections. Place in a microwave safe container, in one layer. Add a bit of salt and water, and microwave for 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Deseed the peppers, cut into thin strips and set aside. Roughly chop the scallions and cilantro (leave a few leaves for garnish) and set aside.
- In a large pan, over medium-high heat, mix the oil and butter and let melt. Add half of the scallions and all the peppers, add a bit of salt, mix and sauté until the peppers soften a bit. Add the corn, mix and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Move the vegetables to one side of the pan, and add the shrimps, Old Bay and Zhoug. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, mixing occasionally. Add the chopped cilantro and mix again.
- Mix in the lemon juice and honey, and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add the steamed asparagus and remaining scallions, mix and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve as is, or on a bed of Basmati rice. Scatter cilantro leaves on top, and add lemon wedges on the side.