The following recipe is very quick to assemble and to prepare. Here the wings are roasted in the oven, but they can be grilled as well. Just perfect for 4th of July weekend lunch, or any other informal gathering.
I like to serve the wings with blue cheese and celery dressing (check THIS POST for recipe), roasted vegetables, fresh celery – and lots of napkins!
Any way you choose to serve them, I’m sure you’ll enjoy these tasty wings.
A few notes:
* Blackened seasoning mix usually includes paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, black pepper, cayenne pepper, basil, and oregano. If you can’t find it, mix and match the above spices according to your taste.
* Spice mixes vary in their spiciness, so add the extra cayenne only if needed. Another option is to keep the wings mildly spicy, and serve them with hot sauce on the side.
* The spice mixes also vary in the amount of salt they contain, so it’s best to taste the one you’re using and adjust the salt amounts accordingly.
* Hawaiian Alaea red salt is a coarse salt that contains small amount of red clay. It is wonderful for roasting. If you can’t find it, substitute with coarse Kosher salt and add a bit more paprika, to compensate for the color.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Roasting time: 50 minutes
1.5 lbs (680 grams) chicken wings, halved, tips removed
2 Tbs Blackened seasoning mix
½ tsp each: roasted cumin, sumac, freshly ground black pepper, celery seeds
Cayenne to taste
1 Tbs Hawaiian Alaea red salt (or coarse Kosher salt + extra paprika)
1 Tbs cornstarch
2 Tbs olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 425F (220C). Line a roasting pan with aluminum foil and baking paper.
2. Mix the spices, salt and cornstarch in a bowl. Add the chicken wings and mix to coat with the mixture. (At this stage the wings can be kept, covered, in the fridge, for up to a day. Bring to room temperature before continuing. )
Add the oil and mix again. Place in the pan, in one layer, and place in the oven.
3. Roast for 50 minutes, taking out the pan every 15 minutes and turning the wings over, until the wings are golden brown on both sides. Serve with roasted vegetables and blue cheese dip.