This tasty and light cake is very easy to make – it doesn’t even require a mixer. Just make sure all the ingredients are at room temperature and mixing will be a breeze. It is a great cake to have on hand, served as a snack or a light dessert.
The cake doesn’t contain any dairy products, thus making it perfect for lactose-intolerant guests. If you don’t have this problem and you prefer a richer, buttery flavor, substitute the ½ cup applesauce with ½ cup melted butter or sour cream.
Other variations: substitute the lemon juice and zest with orange juice and zest. For a sweeter cake, or in case you choose not to add the glaze, increase the amount of sugar to 1½ cups.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 30-35 Minutes
1 large very ripe banana
1 cup sugar
2 XL eggs
1/3 cup oil
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
1 Tbs lemon zest
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
2 cups flour
1 Tbs baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ cup roughly chopped pecans
½ cup dried cranberries
For the glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbs lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 350F (175C). Line a 9” (23cm) square cake pan with baking paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine the banana, sugar, eggs, oil, applesauce, lemon zest and juice, and mix well to an even mixture.
3. Add the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk to a thick batter. Add the pecans and cranberries and mix lightly. Transfer the mixture into the pan.
4. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out almost dry.
5. Transfer the cake to a rack and let cool to room temperature.
6. The glaze: in a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice until you reach a thick yet runny consistency. Pour over the cake and let set before cutting.