Good quality smoked salmon is a true delicacy that can be used and served in numerous ways. Here is a recipe for a tasty and easy to prepare smoked salmon mousse, with two serving suggestions: served as is, or wrapped in smoked salmon. A third option of serving the mousse is to pipe it on crackers or sliced cucumbers, and serve as finger-food.
Any way you choose to serve it, I’m sure you’ll enjoy the results.
A few notes:
* For best results, all the ingredients should be at room temperature when blending.
* As smoked salmon can differ in salt levels, it’s best to add the salt only when you’re almost done with blending the mixture and tasted it.
* I prefer the mousse to have a bit of a coarse texture, with tiny pieces of smoked salmon in it. If you prefer a smoother texture, add all the smoked salmon at once, and blend the mixture longer, until you reach the right texture for your taste.
* The mousse can be kept, covered in the fridge, for up to 4-5 days.
Makes: 2 cups
Prep time: 15 minutes
Chilling time: minimum 4 hours
For the mousse:
3 scallions, coarsely cut + for garnish
6 oz (170 grams) good quality smoked salmon
8 oz (225 grams) soft cream cheese
2 Tbs heavy cream or milk
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 Tbs fresh lemon zest
1 Tbs capers, drained
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
Salt to taste
For the wrapped mousse:
2 oz (55 grams) smoked salmon
Crackers, lemon wedges
1. Place the scallions in a small food processor, with the metal blade, and chop coarsely. Add ¾ of the smoked salmon and blend again. Add the cream cheese, heavy cream or milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, capers and black pepper. Blend, cleaning the sides of the bowl once or twice, to a fairly fine consistency. Add the remaining smoked salmon and blend briefly. Taste and add salt as required. Blend briefly again.
2. Transfer half of the mixture to a serving ramekin. Level the top with the back of a spoon, cover with plastic wrap and keep in the fridge for at least 4 hours. To serve, garnish with some chopped scallions and serve with crackers or fresh bagels, and lemon wedges on the side.
3. For the wrapped mousses: line a small ramekin with plastic wrap. Now line the smoked salmon over the plastic wrap. Add the remaining mousse into the center, and gather the smoked salmon from the sides to the center, to cover the mousse. Cover with the plastic wrap and place a small plate on top, to flatten it. Place in the fridge, for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
To serve, uncover the plastic wrap from the top. Place the ramekin, upside down, on a serving plate. Carefully remove the ramekin and plastic wrap and serve, with lemon wedges and crackers on the side.