Whether you call this sweet and easy dessert “crisp” or “crumble” – the result is the same: sweet, warm layer of fruit, with a buttery, crunchy topping.
There are many versions for this tasty and versatile dessert. I like the following basic version, as it is simple and the flavor and aroma of the fruits are unmasked. Yet sometimes it’s nice to substitute the white sugar with brown sugar, use cornmeal instead of the oats, add spices or vanilla, etc. Other fruits, such as plums, peaches and apricots, for example, can substitute the berries.
This is a “mix and match” dessert, perfect for when you somehow ended up with too many soft fruits that are about to spoil…
Serve as is, or with ice cream, whipped cream or yogurt, and enjoy.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 1 hour
For the topping:
1 cup flour
¾ cup sugar
½ cup quick oats
1 stick (110 grams) butter, cold, cut in large cubes
For the fruit layer:
3 cups blueberries
1 cup blackberries (cut in ½ if they are large)
1 cup raspberries
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup flour
1. Preheat the oven to 360F(180C). Line a 12”x8”(20.5cm x 30cm) baking pan with baking paper.
2. The topping: place the flour, sugar, oats and butter in a food processor bowl, with the metal blade. Process for 1-2 minutes, to a crumbly mixture.
3. The berries: place the berries, flour and sugar in a large bowl. Mix gently and place in the pan.
4. Sprinkle the topping mix evenly on top of the fruit layer. Bake for about 1 hour, or until the topping is golden and crisp.
5. Let cool to room temperature before cutting.
The crisp can be kept in the fridge, covered, for up to three days. Warm slightly before serving.
10 thoughts on “Three Berries Crisp”
Looks rather good!
Thank you! 🙂
Oh, my – where do I sign up as a taster? Love fruit and crunch of any kind!
It’s a great combination indeed. 🙂
Thank you! 🙂
It looks so tasty! Even though it’s not called “cake”, it looks like one. And it’s even better than a regular cake, as it’s almost 80% fruit.
The last photo is always the most convincing. To see the end result ready to eat. I really feel like having a bite…
Thanks and I’m glad you liked the idea. Crumbles are much easier to make than cakes – and I too like them a lot because they have so much fruit in them. You can make it with any soft fruit.
Love these crisps, they are so tempting!
Thank you Nisha, I’m glad you liked the crisps. They are my go-to for quick desserts. Very easy to make and so tasty. 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person