On a hot summer day, a fresh salad with some filling additions is all that is needed for lunch or dinner. This colorful salad is full of flavors and textures, and is the perfect example for such a dish. The vegetables are mixed with a light honey-mustard dressing, then topped with tangy pan fried Halloumi cheese. The pistachios and olives add another layer of flavor, and it all makes for a very tasty and filling salad. Serve it with crusty fresh bread on the side, and enjoy.
* Halloumi cheese is a Cypriot semi-hard, unripened cheese. It has a high melting point and can be fried or grilled without breading. Traditionally, it is made with sheep’s or goat’s milk, or a mix of the two, and seasoned with a bit of dried mint. Some newer versions are made with cow’s milk as well. It can be found in many supermarkets and specialty cheese stores.
* Though it doesn’t have Halloumi’s unique flavor, if you can’t find Halloumi, the Mexican “Queso de freir” (i.e. cheese for frying), can be a good substitute.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
For the dressing:
2 tsp honey
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp salt
1 tsp grated garlic
¼ tsp freshly ground 4 peppers mix
¼ fresh lemon juice (from 1 large)
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
For the cheese:
1 Tbs light olive oil
8 oz (225 grams) Halloumi Cheese, sliced thick
For the salad:
Leaves from 1 large head of lettuce, washed and dried
2-3 radishes, thinly sliced
A handful of salt cured black olives
¼ cup natural pistachios
5-6 cherry tomatoes, halved
1. In a medium bowl, mix the honey, mustard, salt, garlic, pepper and lemon juice. Whisk in the olive oil, to create a smooth dressing.
2. Heat 1 Tbs olive oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat . Add the cheese slices, in one layer. Fry for a 1-2 minutes until golden on both sides. Place on paper towel, to absorb extra oil.
3. Mix the salad ingredients in a large bowl, add the dressing and mix lightly. Transfer to a serving plate, add the fried cheese and serve immediately.