If you get up in the morning and feel like having some fresh bread that doesn’t require lots of work, these quick “all in one bowl” savory muffins are the answer. (The muffins actually have a soda-bread like texture, but for lack of a more accurate term, I still used the term muffins to describe them).
Though very quick and simple to make, they are loaded with flavors and different textures from using different types of flour and additions such as scallions, olives, red onions and Za’atar spice mix.
Served warm from the oven, or sliced and lightly toasted, they are perfect for breakfast or brunch (or any time of the day, actually). Try them and enjoy.
* If you don’t have buttermilk, a mix of 1 cup whole milk with 2 tsp of fresh lemon juice can be used instead. Let it stand for a few minutes until it sours, before using.
* Za’atar is a Middle Eastern spice mix that contains hyssop (from the oregano family), sumac, sesame seeds and salt. I recommend the Israeli version which can be found HERE.
* Dark rye flour can be replaced with any other whole grain flour.
* The muffins can be frozen, in a freezer Ziploc bag, for up to two months. For best results, defrost and reheat in a toaster oven, NOT in the microwave.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 30 minutes
1 L egg
1 cup buttermilk (see notes)
¼ cup olive oil
2 tsp Za’atar mix (see notes)
1 tsp salt
1 cup white flour
½ cup spelt flour
¼ cup dark rye flour (see notes)
2 tsp baking powder
½ cup roughly chopped scallions
½ cup roughly chopped red pepper
¼ cup roughly chopped salt cured black olives and green olives
1. Preheat the oven to 375F (190C). Line a muffin pan with paper baking cups.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, oil, Za’atar and salt.
3. Add the white, spelt and dark rye flour with the baking powder and mix briefly. Add the scallions, red pepper and olives and mix briefly again. Fill the baking cups with the mixture.
4. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of one muffin comes out clean. Transfer to rack to cool slightly before serving. The muffins are also great sliced and lightly toasted.